As the leading organization for professional real estate appraisers, the Appraisal Institute represents over 18,000 professionals in nearly 50 countries. The Southern New Jersey Chapter has over 150 members. We are the home to appraising professionals in the following counties: Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem, Atlantic, Cumberland, Cape May, Monmouth, Mercer and Ocean. Our members perform a variety of services ranging from single family valuation to feasibility studies for regional malls and hotel-casinos. Whether it’s assistance on a home purchase or providing expert testimony for litigation, Appraisal Institute members are uniquely qualified to meet these needs.
2020 Highlights to Date:
- In the spirit of serving the community, the chapter collected non-perishable food items to donate to local food banks at its January installation dinner. We collected 165 units of food and $70 to support community food bank efforts in Southern New Jersey.
- We awarded $1,200 in scholarship money to chapter members through the SNJAI Education Scholarship program.
- Joshua D. Garretson, MAI, AI-GRS, AI-RRS was named the Volunteer of Distinction for the 1st Quarter by the Appraisal Institute. This national recognition program honors volunteers for their service to the Appraisal Institute, to the real estate valuation profession and to their local communities.
- Maria Nucci, SRA, has been chosen for the 2020 Noeline Fuller Scholarship, awarded by Region VI. Noeline Fuller, MAI, SRA was an advocate for education and women in pursuit of the AI designation. The region is honored to continue her mission to encourage women to get their designation and get involved at a chapter and region level. It is with great pleasure that they offer Maria this scholarship named in memory of Noeline.
- Executive Director Lisa Weiss was featured in the Appraisal Industry Professional Profile in the April 12 edition of the Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Journal.
- Held the 23rd Annual September Symposium, featuring a State of the Industry Report presented by women in real estate.
- Sent President Charles McCullough, Vice President Michael Descano, member Joe Heenan and member Josh Garretson to Denver for the Appraisal Institute Conference.
- We collected 40 units of food and $250 at the April dinner meeting/seminar to support local food banks.
- Joshua D. Garretson, MAI, AI-GRS, AI-RRS has been elected to the Appraisal Institute’s Board of Directors serving as a Third Director for the first year, beginning in 2020. The five-year commitment at the national level automatically rolls the elect into the position of region vice chair in years two and three, and then into regional chair in years four and five. Garretson, as part of this leadership team, will be instrumental in guiding various programs and projects throughout the next five years, including oversight of the organization’s objectives as well as monitoring the continuation of the Appraisal Institute’s educational programs, legislative affairs, public relations outreach, AI individual benefit services and international expansion.
- Sent Michael Descano, MAI, and Sherrie Lisa Galderisi, SRA, to LDAC in May. The Leadership Development & Advisory Council (LDAC) is a group of dedicated appraisers who come together once a year in Washington, D.C., to formulate solutions to problems and challenges faced by the appraisal profession. Through a series of roundtable discussions, LDAC provides a forum where ideas and opinions on targeted topics of concern to the appraisal profession are exchanged.
- We became members of the Southern NJ Development Council. The SNJDC is composed of key leaders and decision-makers from the public and private sectors. SNJDC represents organizations among 30 broad business types, including casino/gaming industry development, education, engineers, the health care industry, transportation, and tourism. SNJDC is proud to contribute to our region’s growth by working cooperatively with the region’s county economic development directors in serving as Southern New Jersey’s “Unified Voice for Progress.”
- We collected 193 units of food and $275 at the January installation dinner to support local food banks.
- We have 2 members currently serving on National committees:
- Joshua D. Garrretson, MAI, AI-GRS, AI-RRS: Admissions and Designation Qualifications Committee
- Edward T. Molinari, SRA, AI-RRS: Education Committee
- Named Best Chapter Newsletter (Medium Chapter)
- Raised money and food for local food banks at January’s installation dinner & April’s dinner meeting
- Offered a total of 88 education hours in a non-recertification year
- Sent President Al Crosby, Vice-President McCullough, member Joe Heenan and member Meghan Payne to Nashville for the Appraisal Institute Annual Conference
- Received a grant from the Appraisal Institute Education and Relief Foundation to run a solar class in 2019, making it possible for us to run it at a reduced rate for students
- Successfully ran our 14th annual Seminars at the Shore, highlighting the southern-most part of the chapter
- Became a sponsor at the Cowtown Rodeo
- Continue the SNJ tradition of sending a quality candidate to LDAC. Michael Descano, MAI went for his first year & looks forward to returning this year
- Because of successful education offerings, were able to offer the new USPAP class for a reduced “Membership Appreciation” price of $30
- The chapter was well represented at every regional meeting and conference call
- The chapter has remained financially secure and has not raised chapter dues in at least 15 years